Enhance your Medical studies with Spanish
- July 19, 2018
- Posted by: Student Advisor
- Category: Spanish courses
Did you know that Elebaires also takes on students who are learning Spanish to advance their principal formal studies? For example, one of our most popular programmes is the Spanish and Medicine course. We offer the programme to any student no matter where they’re from and what age they are so long as they are either studying or have the intention of studying medicine.
The medicine programme is an excellent opportunity to combine Spanish and the medical profession, as well as to learn and experience the inside running of South American hospitals and other facilities. That’s right, as part of the course you get to shadow professional doctors and even observe live surgeries! The population of native Spanish speakers is growing and young professionals are realising it is important for doctors to be able to communicate with their patients by learning the language.
What is involved in the programme?
You are welcome to cater the programme to your availability in terms of the number of weeks you do but most opt for 8 weeks. This may seem like a lot but the schedule is broken up into different stages.
- 2 weeks of Spanish classes – you will sit an entry test and enter a group class at the appropriate level. The first two weeks will be standard Spanish grammar and vocabulary.
- 2 weeks of medically oriented Spanish classes – you will be placed into a group with other medical students and will continue to learn Spanish but relative to the medicine environment. This means highlighted vocabulary and role play situations, preparation for when you enter the hospitals in Buenos Aires.
- 4 weeks of practical medical work – you will experience the everyday whirlwind of various facilities across Buenos Aires. This means varied volunteer and work experience in private and public hospitals, as well as clinics.
What you will gain from the practical part of the programme
- Shadow professional doctors
- Observe and participate in small procedures
- Observe live surgeries
- Build a relationship with hospital staff, ask questions and seek advice
- Familiarize yourself with hospital equipment and tools
- Receive credit for your studies in your home faculty
See our full list of courses here: https://www.elebaires.com/courses/