5 Reasons To Learn Spanish Through Immersion
- August 10, 2018
- Posted by: Student Advisor
- Category: Spanish courses
1. You learn how to let go of your fears, how to laugh at your own mistakes and gain the confidence to practice. The most important thing you need to learn another language is confidence! If you are too afraid to speak for fear of messing up or not being understood, you will never get the chance to improve.
2. You learn the language the way children learn how to speak—naturally! When you are fully immersed in a country that speaks only Spanish, your brain starts to subconsciously pick up on words and sayings without you even realizing it. After time, you start saying things without even realizing, things you didn’t study in the classroom but heard people say in passing, through conversation, on the radio, etc.
3. You learn jokes/sayings/colloquialisms that you wouldn’t be able to learn in just a classroom—for example there are several things we say in our native languages that aren’t considered slang or grammatically incorrect, but that you wouldn’t necessarily learn in a textbook learning the language either. The best way to learn how the language is used in ‘real life’ is by surrounding yourself with native speakers!
4. You learn faster! There’s no possible way of slacking off when you have to be able to shop, order food, and navigate the city that uses Spanish exclusively. And, instead of pouring yourself into a textbook and reviewing vocabulary words you can go anywhere you want and find new vocabulary words or practice new ones
5. You grow and become a better person! Any new experiences help you to grow and learn more about yourself. Travelling and living immersed in a culture vastly different than you home country will make you challenge your beliefs and learn what parts of life you value you the most that you may not have realized before.