This course allows pre-med, nursing, or other related fields interested in health care to learn about the differences in health care management between their home country and Argentina. Students will develop their comprehension and communication skills in order to prepare themselves for actual real-life situations. They will learn medical Spanish vocabulary, grammatical structures, and general functions in order to familiarize themselves with specific social and health systems in Spanish. Students will have visits to public and private hospitals and clinics and opportunities for hands-on experience.
This is an excellent program for nursing students, pre-medical students, or students interested in public health and policy.
Course Title: Health and Society in the Hispanic World (local title: Healthcare in Argentina)
Sessions offered: Winter Break (3 weeks), Summer Ic (3 weeks)
Combine cities: 3 weeks in Buenos Aires + 3 weeks in Viña del Mar + 3 weeks in Cusco
Instruction in: Spanish
Classroom Contact Hours: 50 hs
Shadowing Contact Hours: 40 hs – 20 hs extra eligible
Total 90 hs of instruction and shadowing
College Credit (Semester Credit Hours): 6 credit hours
Prerequisites: students must be in a healthcare-related major
Course Code: SPAN 4343
Course Level: 200-level / 300-level
The Spanish and Health program is an instructive and dynamic program aimed at meeting students´ needs who are interested in learning specific Spanish related to the health care field while simultaneously advancing their general Spanish ability. During this course, health professionals will develop their comprehension and communication skills in order to prepare themselves for actual real-life situations that can occur in their vocational environment. They will learn from basic to advanced medical Spanish vocabulary, grammatical structures, and general functions in order to familiarize themselves with specific social and health system Spanish.
- A rare opportunity to study health sciences in an international clinical setting
- Site visits and shadowing in hospitals and clinics
- A unique skill-building experience to help you stand out from other job or graduate school applicants
- Earn 6 credits toward your degree through fully-accredited coursework
- Courses are taught in Spanish
- Add to your resume an experience that will make you unique from most job applicants.
- Experience Buenos Aires, one of the most popular travel destinations in South America, a country with a deep history and modern European lifestyle.
- Enjoy exciting optional excursions to beautiful cities in Argentina, such as Iguazu Falls and Mendoza. Combine with Chile and Peru!
- Live in an international community and make new friends from all over the world.
- Shadow in a local Hospital!